BIG BAND JUMP ARCHIVE DISCOVERY
We recently discovered a series of 88 MOMENTS IN MUSIC, hidden in the files for over a decade. Each of these mini-features were originally meant to be used by radio stations but now are being made available to former BBJ listeners.
Each five minute feature includes a forty or fifty second background story by Don Kennedy, followed by an original Big Band Era classic recording. We've joined these features together to form five studio quality CDs, each lasting over an hour and filled with anecdotes, musical history and original recordings. The variety is remarkable; the spoken content unique.
The music contained on each of the five CDs is noted below, but the music is only part of the enjoyment. Each selection comes with an entertaining dose of background information, originally meant to be heard only on selected radio stations. Now these five CDs containing a total of eighty-eight features are available to former BBJ listeners.
MOMENTS IN MUSIC - CD ONE - 16 TRACKS
- 1 - I'VE GOT MY LOVE TO KEEP ME WARM - LES BROWN
- 2 - LINDA - BUDDY CLARK
- 3 - AS TIME GOES BY - DOOLEY WILSON
- 4 - OPUS ONE - TOMMY DORSEY
- 5 - SWEET GEORGIA BROWN - HARRY JAMES
- 6 - WHY DON'T YOU DO RIGHT? - PEGGY LEE / B.G.
- 7 - LAMENT TO LOVE - DICK HAYMES / JAMES
- 8 - ONE O'CLOCK JUMP - COUNT BASIE
- 9 - AULD LANG SYNE - GUY LOMBARDO
- 10 - SOUTHERN SCANDAL - STAN KENTON
- 11 - PETER GUNN - HENRY MANCINI
- 12 - SUNDAY KIND OF LOVE - FRAN WARREN
- 13 - SUMMIT RIDGE DRIVE - SHAW GRAMERCY FIVE
- 14 - CONTRASTS - JIMMY DORSEY
- 15 - SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY - DORIS DAY / BROWN
- 16 - ATCHESON, TOPEKA & SANTA FE - JOHNNY MERCER
MOMENTS IN MUSIC - CD TWO - 18 TRACKS
- 1 BEAT ME DADDY - WILL BRADLEY / RAY McKINLEY
- 2 PENNSYLVANIA 6-5000 - GLENN MILLER
- 3 BODY & SOUL - COLEMAN HAWKINS
- 4 LET ME OFF UPTOWN - GENE KRUPA
- 5 STARDUST - ARTIE SHAW
- 6 GETTING SENTIMENTAL OVER YOU - TOMMY DORSEY
- 7 ARTISTRY IN RHYTHM - STAN KENTON
- 8 BESAME MUCHO - JIMMY DORSEY
- 9 MAIRZY DOATS - MERRY MACS
- 10 STRAIGHTEN UP AND FLY RIGHT - NAT COLE
- 11 LAURA - WOODY HERMAN
- 12 WHY TRY TO CHANGE ME NOW? - FRANK SINATRA
- 13 DREAM - PIED PIPERS
- 14 GOTTA' BE THIS OR THAT - BENNY GOODMAN
- 15 TAMPICO - STAN KENTON
- 16 CALDONIA - WOODY HERMAN
- 17 MELANCHOLY RHAPSODY - JACKIE GLEASON
- 18 FORTUNE IN DREAMS - FRANK SINATRA, JR.
MOMENTS IN MUSIC - CD THREE - 19 TRACKS
- 1 JEEP JOCKEY JUMP - TEX BENEKE
- 2 ALL I DESIRE - LENA HORNE / CHARLIE BARNET
- 3 BIG NOISE FROM WINNETKA - BOB HAGGART / RAY BAUDUC
- 4 HAVE YOU MET MISS JONES? - BING CROSBY
- 5 MISSION TO MOSCOW - MILLER MILITARY BAND
- 6 I MAY BE WRONG - DORIS DAY / HARRY JAMES
- 7 DOWN THE ROAD A-PIECE - BRADLEY / McKINLEY
- 8 MOST BEAUTIFUL GIRL IN THE WORLD - TOMMY DORSEY
- 9 CHATTANOOGA CHOO CHOO - MODERN MILLER BAND
- 10 COFFEE SONG - ROSEMARY CLOONEY / CATHY CAMPO
- 11 APPLE BLOSSOM TIME - RALPH FLANAGAN
- 12 I WANNA' BE AROUND - TONY BENNETT
- 13 FRENESI - ARTIE SHAW
- 14 HONEYSUCKLE ROSE - ROSE MURPHY
- 15 DICKIE'S WEATHER JIVE - BILL ELLIOT
- 16 HOLD TIGHT - MARION HUTTOM / GLENN MILLER
- 17 STARDUST - CHARLIE CHRISTIAN / BENNY GOODMAN
- 18 BOOGIE-WOOGIE BUGLE BOY - ANDREWS SISTERS
- 19 ALL OR NOTHING AT ALL - DICK HAYMES / HARRY JAMES
MOMENTS IN MUSIC - CD FOUR - 18 TRACKS
- 1 REED RAPTURE - STAN KENTON
- 2 TWILIGHT TIME - LES BROWN
- 3 DIPSY DOODLE - LARRY CLINTON
- 4 GOOSEY GANDER - WOODY HERMAN
- 5 MY HEART BELONGS TO DADDY - KITTY KALLEN / ARTIE SHAW
- 6 ELK'S PARADE - BOBBY SHEROOD
- 7 NEAR YOU - FRANCIS CRAIG
- 8 HEARTACHES - TED WEEMS
- 9 GOT A DATE WITH AN ANGEL - HAL KEMP / SKINNAY ENNIS
- 10 AMAPOLA - JIMMY DORSEY
- 11 AFTER HOURS - ERSKINE HAWKINS
- 12 BESAME MUCHO - ANDY RUSSELL
- 13 I WONDER WHAT'S BECOME OF SALLY - SYD LAWRENCE
- 14 TAKE THE A TRAIN - DUKE ELLINGTON
- 15 ONCE IN LOVE WITH AMY - RAY BOLGER / SY OLIVER
- 16 MELANCHOLY SERENADE - HARRY JAMES
- 17 BOOGIE-WOOGIE - TOMMY DORSEY
- 18 I'VE HEARD THAT SONG BEFORE - HARRY JAMES
MOMENTS IN MUSIC - CD FIVE - 17 TRACKS
- 1 AIN'T MISBEHAVIN' - FATS WALLER
- 2 YOU MAKE ME LOVE YOU - HARRY JAMES
- 3 IT ISN'T FAIR - DON CORNELL / SAMMY KAYE
- 4 MISTY - ERROLL GARNER
- 5 GOODY GOODY - HELEN WARD / BENNY GOODMAN
- 6 AND THE ANGELS SING - MARTHA TILTON / B.B.
- 7 HIGH SCHOOL SHUFFLE - RALPH BURNS
- 8 LULU'S BCK IN TOWN - BILLY MAY
- 9 MY BLUE HEAVEN - PAUL WESTON
- 10 SWEET LORRAINE - NAT COLE
- 11 SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER ME - LINDA RONSTADT
- 12 I'VE GOT YOU UNDER MY SKIN - GINNY SIMMS
- 13 BEGIN THE BEGUINE - ARTIE SHAW
- 14 STARDUST - ARTIE SHAW
- 15 HOW HIGH THE MOON - TEDDY WILSON
- 16 CECILIA - RONNIE KEMPER / DICK JURGENS
- 17 SOFT SUMMER BREEZE - EDDIE HEYWOOD
You can hear three short portions from the series here.
You may order any one or all five of the MOMENTS IN MUSIC CDs by phoning, toll-free:
1-800-377-0022. When you call, please leave your name and phone number with the area
code and we WILL call you back.
All CDs are digital studio copies of the originals. Prices are:
ANY SINGLE CD: $19.95
ANY TWO CDs: $38.00
ANY 3 CDs: $ 56.00
ANY 4 CDs: $ 72.00
ALL FIVE CDs: $ 80.00
All prices include FREE shipping and handling. Please order at: 1-800-377-0022 and leave your name
and phone number, including area code, and we WILL call you back.
Orders from outside the United States are subject to an
additional $10.00 (U.S.) mailing charge. All prices are US$.
Classic Big Band Jump Programs
We've had time lately to unearth ancient BIG BAND JUMP files and we've come across some BBJ gems from the early days of the program. It might be a trifle lavish to say some of those earlier BBJ programs had a certain charm, but they DID transmit a fresh, inspired approach to now familiar Big Band recordings and information.
Each of the following archival BIG BAND JUMP programs have been re-mastered from the best available sources, preserving the sound as originally broadcast during the earlier days of BBJ's national syndication. Each is a non-commercial one hour version supplied on a direct studio digital CD copy of the carefully restored program. These remarkable early BIG BAND JUMP programs are described below.
BBJ 105 - BIG BANDS AT CARNEGE HALL - 'Live' performances of nine
different bands appearing at Carnegie Hall including Goodman, Miller, Ellington. Herman, Armstrong and others.
BBJ 106 - DANCE BAND REMOTES - 'Live' rare radio broadcasts and other
spontaneous musical moments from Frankie Carle, Woody Herman, Jimmy Dorsey, Tommy Dorsey and Harry James including a significant D-Day announcement and Sinatra's hand-off to Haymes.
BBJ 107 - MUSIC PLUS WORDS - Review of purely instrumental compositions
with lyrics added later and examples of each with revealing stories. Ellington, Ink Spots, Mercer, Crosby, Stafford, Goodman and Ronstadt among others create musical illustrations.
BBJ 108 - WOODY HERMAN RECALLED - A lifetime dedicated to music is the
basis of this tribute to a musician who survived through adversity to promote his music. Not for the musical faint of heart, but a program reflecting heartfelt sentiment.
BBJ 111 - BIG BAND LEGENDS - GOODMAN - One of a series about some key
Big Bands. Goodman from the '30s and '40s including Helen Ward, Martha Tilton, the small groups and Peggy Lee as well as arrangements by Fletcher Henderson and Mel Powell plus so many more.
BBJ 115 - BIG BAND LEGENDS - TOMMY DORSEY - The Dorsey basics from
the '30s & '40s including Sinatra, Stafford, the Pied Pipers and the Sentimentalists featuring arrangements by Sy Oliver, Dean Kincaide and Bill Finegan among others. Dorsey essentials.
BBJ 116 - BIG BAND LEGENDS - HARRY JAMES - Significant recordings and
information beginning in the late '30s and extending through the '50s. In the mid-forties the Harry James
Orchestra was one of the two top bands of the nation. We recall anecdotal moments from that time illustrated with some memorable orchestral examples.
BBJ 118 - NOVELTY SONGS - Novelty songs may be in the ear of the listener,
but this program contains proven novelty offerings
by Glenn Miller, Dick Jurgens, Les Brown, Vaughn Monroe, Alvino Rey, Buddy Clark, Andrews Sisters, Harry James and a touch of Rose Murphy. Entertaining.
BBJ 122 - RE-BORN HITS - Early hits of the '20s & '30s brought back in the Big
Band Era to restored popularity. Enlightening information as well as highly entertaining recordings, some instantly recognizable, some which may be fresh sounds to you, but all fun to hear.
BBJ 148 - KRUPA APPRECIATION - Certain programs resonate when heard
again in later years and this is one of them. Under-appreciated, the Krupa organization turned out highly memorable recordings that need to be re-heard. Krupa's personality is also reviewed.
BBJ 149 - MANCINI REMEMBRANCE - Here's an arranger/conductor who
composed massive amounts of music for recordings, television and movies. From a humble beginning in the steel mill country of Western Pennsylvania, Mancini rose to permanent national acclaim.
BBJ 160 - ALL-STAR JAM SESSION - A listener came up with the idea of doing
an entire program featuring musicians who do not normally play together. On location recordings and radio guest appearances contribute to this fascinating program of unfettered performances.
BBJ 173 - WEATHER MELODIES - The weather is a universally popular subject
of conversation, but it's also an often used subject of musical names. Fun to run through the both familiar and more obscure musical titles all referring to some aspect of weather.
BBJ 177 - BIG BANDS ON FILM - The Big Band Era may have faded in the mid-
forties but the BB style lived on to be an important part of motion picture mood music. We seek out those instances with major arranging names plus key bandleaders in wide-ranging musical examples.
One to five programs: $18.00 each
Six to ten programs: $17.00 each
Eleven to fourteen programs $16.00 each
Please phone 1-800-377-0022 to order the programs of your choice. Please leave your name and number and we will call you back.
Choose a topic:
© 2014 Big Band Jump. All rights